If you ever need to deal with the window’s network proxy, you may need to know many things. And sometimes it is not an easy task to do. Especially when you need to work with the IP addresses, you have to have specific knowledge about networking or relevant field.
Suppose you use your internet for professional work, such as gaming, browsing, or professional task. Then you might be familiar with the term DHCP lease time. Sometimes, you may need to change or modify it for various purposes. That is why you need to know how to change or alter it in your windows 10.
So, in this writing, we will try to know and explore how to change DHCP lease time in your windows 10. Keep reading the entire article.
What Is DHCP Lease Time?
Suppose you are an internet user. Then you most likely take your internet connection from a third-party service provider. And that internet service provider will assign you an IP address to lease. Sometimes it is known as a dynamic IP address. And it has a particular time limit and period when the lease time will be over.
Your computer will need a new IP address from the internet service provider. Or you need to renew it. Generally, the DHCP lease period is around 1440 minutes or 24 hours. After 24 hours, your computer will look for a new IP address or try to renew it.
In such a situation, some people prefer to change the DHCP lease time in their Windows 10 computers. If you need to change the DHCP lease time, you must check the DHCP lease time on your computer first. It is normal to get confused if you are doing it for the first time.
How can I Check the DHCP Lease Time on Windows 10 computer?
Checking the DHCP lease time status on your Windows 10 system is quite simple and easy. To check the status, you need to follow some easy steps. Here’s a tutorial that will help to check the DHCP lease time status on your computer.
- Firstly, have the Command Prompt open on your computer.
- When the command prompt window pops up, you are to type ipconfig /all and press the enter key.
- Then you will find something that will show you the Lease Obtained, and Lease Expired with time and details.
This is how you can check the DHCP lease time on your Windows 10 computer. For better understanding, the below screenshot may help you.
How to Change DHCP Lease Time Windows 10?
Usually, you can change the DHCP lease time on your computer in two ways. The first one is by your internet router, and the second one is by your DHCP server. Both methods are pretty easy and effective if you know how to do that. We will try to show you both ways so that it can be easier for you.
Method 01- via your internet router:
Suppose you want to change or modify DHCP, lease time via your internet router. Then you can follow the tutorial that is given in the following:
- Firstly, open the internet browser from your computer
- Then you need to enter the router’s address. You will find the address in the router’s body. But generally, the address would be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.
- In this process, you need to know the IP address of your computer. If you do not know the IP address of your computer, you can find it out and explore some tutorials online.
- Then, you need to enter the User ID and password to access your router.
- After that, the router configuration page will pop up. Then you need to find the LAN option. In that option, you will see the DHCP Server module.
- In that DHCP Server module, it will show you the DHCP Leased time. And usually, that leased time is for 24 hours by default.
- From that option, if you want, you can change the lease time there. After changing the lease time, just click save to continue.
Method 02- via the DHCP Server:
You can also change or modify the DHCP lease time via the DHCP server. To change it via DHCP server, you can follow the below tutorial:
- You need to open the run dialog from your computer
- Then you need to type dhcpmgmt.msc. And then click ok to continue
- After that, you will sight a new window. From that window, open the DHCP properties.
- There will be a section named Lease duration for DHCP clients. From that section, you need to find out the general tab.
- In that tab, you need to input the new lease time.
- Then click ok and save the changes.
In both methods, do not forget to reboot your computer when you are done. Then you can check whether the lease time is changed from your computer or not.
The bottom line:
Changing DHCP Lease Time on your Windows 10 computer is quite simple and easy. If you know how to do that, then you can do it in a few minutes. We welcome to reread the article in case you are still confused about changing or modifying DHCP-lease,
We hope the steps mentioned above and methods will be helpful for you. For more assistance, you can explore tutorials online. Hopefully, this writing will help you change or modify DHCP Lease Time on your Windows 10 computer.