Android devices offer a great level of customization, and changing icons is one of the popular ways to personalize your phone’s appearance. Typically, users rely on third-party launchers to change icons, but did you know you can achieve this without installing any additional software? In this guide, we will walk you through the process of how to change icons on Android without launcher, providing you with easy-to-follow steps and useful insights to make your Android experience truly unique.
Read also: How to Find Favorite Pages on Android?
Table of Contents
How to Change Icons on Android Without Launcher
To change icons on your Android device without a launcher, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Enable Developer Options
To begin, you need to enable Developer Options on your Android device. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Scroll down and tap on About phone.
- Find the Build number entry and tap on it multiple times (usually 7 times) until you see a message confirming that Developer Options have been enabled.
Step 2: Access Developer Options
Once Developer Options are enabled, you can access them from the Settings menu:
- Go back to the main Settings screen.
- Scroll down and tap on System.
- Select Advanced.
- Tap on Developer options.
Step 3: Enable USB Debugging
To change icons without a launcher, you’ll need to enable USB Debugging:
- Inside Developer options, locate and enable USB debugging.
Step 4: Install Android Debug Bridge (ADB) on Your Computer
ADB is a command-line tool that allows you to interact with your Android device from a computer. Here’s how to set it up:
- Download the appropriate ADB package for your computer’s operating system from the official Android website.
- Install the ADB package on your computer following the instructions provided.
Step 5: Connect Your Android Device to the Computer
With ADB installed, connect your Android device to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 6: Open a Command Prompt or Terminal
On your computer, open a Command Prompt (Windows) or Terminal (Mac or Linux).
Step 7: Test the ADB Connection
In the Command Prompt or Terminal, type the following command and press Enter:
If the connection is successful, you should see your device’s serial number listed.
Step 8: Prepare Your Custom Icon
Before you can change an icon, make sure you have the desired image saved on your Android device.
Step 9: Locate the App’s Package Name
To change an icon, you need to know the package name of the app you want to customize. Here’s how to find it:
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Tap on Apps & Notifications.
- Select the app for which you want to change the icon.
- Scroll down and tap on Advanced.
- The package name will be displayed at the bottom.
Step 10: Use ADB to Change the Icon
Now that you have the package name and the custom icon ready, you can use ADB to change the icon:
- Open the Command Prompt or Terminal on your computer.
- Enter the following command:
- Next, run this command to change the icon:
<package_name> with the app’s package name,
<activity_name> with the main activity name of the app, and
<path_to_icon> with the location of your custom icon on the device.
Step 11: Enjoy Your Custom Icon
After executing the command, your app’s icon should change to your custom image. Enjoy your newly personalized Android experience!
Advantages of Changing Icons Without a Launcher
Changing icons without using a launcher offers several advantages:
- Lightweight: Using ADB to change icons is a lightweight solution compared to installing third-party launchers, which might consume more system resources.
- No Bloatware: When you change icons manually, you avoid installing additional applications, keeping your device free of bloatware.
- Greater Control: By using ADB, you have more control over the customization process, ensuring that your icons perfectly match your preferences.
Personalizing your Android device by changing icons without a launcher is a fantastic way to add a touch of uniqueness and creativity to your phone. With the step-by-step guide we’ve provided, you now have the knowledge and confidence to undertake this customization process on your own. Remember to enjoy the experience and feel free to experiment with different icons until you find the perfect look for your Android home screen.
FAQs on How to Change Icons on Android Without Launcher
Can I revert to the original app icon if I don't like the change?
Yes, you can easily revert to the original app icon. Uninstall the app updates from its settings and the icon will be restored to its default appearance.
Do I need to root my Android device to change icons without a launcher?
No, you don’t need to root your device for this method to work. Enabling Developer Options and USB Debugging are the only prerequisites.
Will changing icons affect my app's functionality?
No, changing icons is a cosmetic modification that will not affect the app’s functionality or performance.
Can I use any image format for custom icons?
Yes, you can use various image formats like PNG, JPEG, or SVG for custom icons.
Will this method work on all Android devices?
Yes, this method applies to all Android devices running Android OS version 4.0 and above.
Is it safe to use ADB to change icons?
Yes, it is safe as long as you follow the instructions carefully. Improper use of ADB commands may cause issues, so exercise caution.